Good luck, bad luck or just your turn

I have become annoyed with probability lately. My son had surgery a few weeks ago to repair a big hole in his radius (big bone in your arm on the thumb side). How did he get this big hole you ask? Well, no one knows for sure. We have done about 6 diagnostic tests to figure out what caused it but after several thousand dollars the doctor shrugged and told us it was very rare. So we did the bone graft surgery, stapled his bones together and are hoping for a complete recovery. This event reminded me of other weird things that have happened to me by chance: rear ended at a stop light twice and hit by a car going in reverse while parked in a parking lot, 2 emergency C-sections (1-3% chance) and a pattern of adopting dogs who seem to need a dog psychiatrist. Despite these chance events I feel extremely lucky. Most things go right most of the time. I guess my glass is half full. I saw this article (shared item) about probability and personal bias and thought it was interesting.

Comments

My Daily List said…
A hole in his radius? Wow, I've never heard of this. I'm glad it's just one of those odd things and not something to be more concerned about.

You make a good point though. There is so much that we can't control, it's best to make the most of what you have without creating problems.

Popular Posts