Talk therapy

In the last few weeks I have been learning about the benefits of talking. I think most of us like to talk, stay connected, thats why almost everywhere you go someone is on their cell phone.....some talking loudly and annoying others. But there are people who don't talk much. I am working on an AST class so I volunteer at a hospital in an activities center where people go for rehabilitation before discharge. One of my duties is to provide one on one visitation to the patients and just basically talk to them for a while. Many patients are elderly and some have been plagued with a long list of health problems. The hospital is not where most people want to be; everything is on a strict schedule...meds, eating, assessments, therapy etc. If you don't feel like getting up at 6:00 to have your blood pressure taken, too bad. If you can't stomach the grey hamburger for lunch one more time...oh well. So in addition to being sick, many are stressed out and they are disconnected from family and friends. So I sit down and ask how they are doing...(sort of a dumb question), and I dig around and try to get to know them a little...something I mastered after years as a hairdresser. Some are a little guarded, but most of the time we make a connection. We share each others company, and for a short time they have a friend and a break from the hospital routine. We talk about anything, and they become people instead of patients. When our time is over, we shake hands and share a smile. Then I walk by another room and catch a glimpse of someone else, I wonder what their story is. Last weekend I went out for chinese food. My fortune cookie read "When you help a friend, you help yourself". I think those cookie people are right.

Comments

Raisa said…
Beth, what you do is great!! Not many people go out of their way for others with no compensation in return... Nothing like a pure good feeling. I have another one for you (less cookie, more fortune if we abide by it):

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pike.

You're generosity and consideration is very important and appreciated. It might make you feel good, but it can make someone else feel better. I'm glad I'm getting to know you. Shows that there is still good in this world. Thank you.
My son was just saying to me last night that he always feels better when he talks things out. I think we all need that, especially those of us who are disconnected from friends and family.

You provide a wonderful service that repays you in kind. How cool is that?
I've been thinking a lot about talking recently. I'm discovering that I talk so much in my job, and often repeat similar ideas, that I'm losing the ability to communicate well. I tend to speak without listening and slur strings of words together in one long blurt, all in an attempt to hurry on to the next conversation. I'm trying to remind myself to slow down, take a breath, think, and relax. In my current state, I would do nothing but stress out your patients. This sounds like a great AST though.
Beth's Blog said…
Andy, I know what you're saying. I think in your position people are always coming to you with questions and needing information. You probably have very limited time to take care of all of those demands so it must be overwhelming at times. My communication problems happen when I am in a similar situation. I find that I unintentionally interrupt people so that I can tell them something (information they need) without losing my train of thought or forgetting. I am trying to improve upon that because sometimes the really important information isn't a big deal to them--even though it seems like it is to me.
Beth's Blog said…
Raisa, Thank you, thank you, thank you! I like that quote, it is very true. Hey, remember the Beatles class...."the love you take is equal to the love you make". They knew what was going on!! You are so kind.
Beth's Blog said…
Shawn, My son just grunts when I see him. But sometimes he comes in my office and sits down--then I know he needs a little TLC. Teenagers are strange creatures!
Anonymous said…
Beth, that is such an incredible thing that you're doing and God will have a big blessing with your name on it. I totally believe that fortune cookie because when you brighten someone else's day, your day tends to get a little brighter as well. Keep up the good work that actually seems to come natural to you. You're doing an exceptionally great thing for humankind (and for yourself). :-)

Popular Posts