Birthday Blog

Since it only comes once a year, I guess my birthday should be celebrated. If that sounds a bit depressive you are right, I'm not just jumping around with joy on my 47th. Earlier today I went out for a birthday waffle and on the way back was stopped in traffic for a funeral procession. My self pity changed instantly as I saw the hearse drive past carrying someone who has had their last birthday. So I am spending the rest of the day reflecting on what I've learned in the last several decades. Whomever said that the only constant is change is probably right. Most things are impermanent. Youth is not always so great. I have had periods of pimply stress and turmoil that I am glad to have behind me. So while young people enjoy joints that don't hurt and the ability to eat cheese fries without intestinal rebellion, old people have perspective. I now know that if I am having a really bad month, next month will probably be better. Being prepared for things that are likely to go wrong is my new approach. With youth comes optimism, but with old age comes preparedness. Older people who walk around looking like they have been beaten by the game of life are really just preparing themselves for whatever is next. I now expect to get a flat tire even if there are no potholes the size of Texas. I also expect to be constantly tired and broke so when I'm not it's a bonus day. Lowering my expectations has made me feel quite lucky. Now if you asked Elizabeth Taylor if she wishes she could switch with me she might jump at the chance. I've never had a brain tumor and have only been married once, so who knows what the future holds.....until then I'm taking extra vitamin C and getting a flu shot because...you never know.

Comments

Lowered expectations - the great lesson of life:) You just need to reframe this concept. It's not that you're lowering expectation, you're just more skilled in your expecation.

By the way, I was going to vote in your poll, but I think I like all of those things, particularly liver and onions.

Popular Posts